Wat zegt de wetenschap?
Nieuw rapport: meer dan 200 studies linken gsm's met serieuze gezondheidsproblemen
- Gepubliceerd: woensdag 09 november 2011 14:23
De Britse NGO MobileWise publiceerde een nieuw rapport over de gezondheidsrisico's van gsm's. In het rapport komen meer dan 200 wetenschappelijke studies aan bod die duidelijk wijzen op een link met gezondheidsproblemen.
The report warns that children's health is being put at risk by the failure of Government and phone companies to respond to the growing body of evidence linking mobile phone use with health hazards. Medical experts and MobileWise are calling on Government and industry to provide warnings and advice on ways to reduce the risk of health damage when using mobiles.
The possible health risks identified include brain tumours and damage to fertility, genes, the blood-brain barrier and melatonin production, as well as other biological effects thought to have a role in the development of cancer. Endorsed by a number of eminent doctors and scientists, the report highlights the growing and substantial body of evidence that has been obscured in the debate over these risks.
Research highlighted in the new report shows that children's brains are more susceptible to the effects of mobile phone radiation because of their smaller heads, thinner skulls and greater tissue conductivity.
The report calls for children to be informed about how to limit their exposure – including keeping calls to a minimum, using headsets and keeping phones away from the groin.
Dr Lennart Hardell, Professor of Oncology and Cancer Epidemiology at Orebro University Hospital in Sweden, who has led several studies on the link between phones and cancer, says: "This timely report draws attention to the large body of evidence which links prolonged phone use to health hazards such as brain tumours."
British neurosurgeon Kevin O'Neill says: "This report does much to elucidate the scientific evidence and policy issues. We know that children are much more vulnerable to phone radiation and that there are simple measures available to help them cut their exposure "
Het rapport kan gedownload worden hier:
Berichtgeving in de pers:
Mobile phones could be 'health time bomb'
Call for mobile phone health warnings despite ‘inconclusive’ evidence
HEALTH ALERT FOR CHILDREN WHO USE MOBILE PHONES
Mobile phones could be 'health time bomb': More than 200 academic
studies link use with serious illnesses
Samenvatting van de bevindingen:
CANCER AND OTHER TUMOURS
• Several studies among sizeable populations have found a doubling of the risk of some brain tumours after 10 or more years’ mobile phone use for about half an hour a day.
• Studies indicate a possible link between mobile phone use and tumours of the parotid gland (a salivary gland in the region normally highly exposed to radiation during phone use).
• The World Health Organization’s International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) has classified the radiation emitted by mobile phones as “possibly carcinogenic to humans” (Class 2B).
DAMAGE TO FERTILITY AND REPRODUCTION
• Laboratory and observational studies have found damage to sperm, impaired female fertility and damage to the unborn foetus from exposure to mobile phone radiation.
• Laboratory studies from different research groups suggest that even after short periods of exposure to phone radiation, DNA strands can be broken and there are effects on gene expression. Phone radiation is capable of disturbing the DNA repair mechanism, and this can continue for several hours after the phone use.
DAMAGE TO OTHER BIOLOGICAL PROCESSES
• Laboratory studies suggest that phone radiation can damage the blood-brain barrier, causing a leakage of albumin into the brain.
• Studies have found significantly reduced levels of melatonin in humans after about half an hour’s mobile phone use per day.
• Effects on heat shock proteins (similar to a stress response), oxidative stress, apoptosis (cell death) and damage to cell membranes have been identified in research. These are thought to have a role in cancer development.
CHILDREN AND YOUNG PEOPLE
• Children’s brain tissue is more conductive, radiation penetration is greater relative to head size, and children will have a longer lifetime of exposure than adults: all increase their risk of harm.
• Laboratory studies have shown consistently that children’s heads absorb up to double the energy that a large adult does when making a mobile phone call and that the energy can be concentrated in certain areas of the child’s brain, resulting in up to 3 times the absorption in these areas.
• One study has found that the risk of brain cancer after prolonged mobile phone use is significantly greater in younger users than in adults.